Who we are
Women play a growing part in the world of energy ranging from expert engineering skills to senior financial and executive responsibilities and new business development. This trend has accelerated over the last decade.
Access for Women in Energy (AccessWIE) establishes a community of practice, offering women a peer-group platform to meet with their contemporaries both female and male in the private and the public sectors across the world of energy.
Our central aim is to support the development of women in the energy sector – across the whole supply chain, related services and all sources of energy: from oil, gas and coal to renewables and nuclear.
- We empower female energy experts by giving them an equal speaking and participation platform as male experts.
- We follow an all inclusive policy, providing membership opportunities to a wide spectrum of female and male experts including senior executives, middle managers, professionals transitioning between jobs and graduates among others.
AccessWIE was founded in 2007 by Dr Carole Nakhle, who is the Chief Executive Officer of Crystol Energy. The group is co-chaired by Lady Judge (The Hon. Barbara Thomas), Chairman Emerita of the UK Atomic Energy Authority, and Lord Howell, President of the Royal Commonwealth Society and of the UK Energy Industries Council.
AccessWIE is a not-for-profit group based in London with representation in the United Arab Emirates and Ghana.
- Ili Afifuddin, Geologist
- Adwoa Asantewaa, Postgraduate Researcher, Durham University
- Valentina Dedi, Economist, Crystol Energy
- Dr Hiba El Khoury, Energy Professional
- Dr Gavin Graham, Vice President of the Board, LOTOS Petrobaltic
- Alia Moubayed, Director of Geo-Economics and Strategy, The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS)
- Eleni Papadopoulou, Senior LNG Analyst, Cheniere
- Inga Shamsutdinova, Consultant, IHS
AccessWIE is expanding its partnership with other organisations which share similar interests. In addition to being a sister organisation to the Windsor Energy Group (WEG), also chaired by Lord Howell, it has recently partnered with:
- Greek Energy Forum – an international energy think tank, with a special focus on Southeastern Europe.
- Women in Energy, Asia – a society that aims to give female professionals of the energy sector a platform to grow their industry network and foster their careers through training, mentoring, role-modeling and professional development.
- Young Professionals in Energy London Chapter – a non-profit organisation aiming to facilitate the advancement of young professionals in the global energy industry.
AccessWIE in the Media
“Interview with Dr Carole Nakhle” – ADIPEC
“Black Gold- Still a Man’s World?” – Oil, Gas and Energy Law – Read the article that set the foundation for AccessWIE
AccessWIE engages its members in regular informed debates on global energy related issues. These are usually held on a quarterly basis and include seminars, business meetings and roundtable discussions to address strategic issues involving energy globally. The launch of these events took place on July 23rd, 2007 at Eversheds LLP and focused on the sustainability of nuclear energy.
We also provide training and educational support to those who want to venture into new aspects of the energy industry or simply expand their knowledge.
Attendance is equally divided between female and male participants.
Check our latest events:
All members will have the opportunity to develop their skills and knowledge while building a valuable international networking platform. Above all, graduates will enjoy establishing useful connections within the industry as they shape their careers and carry forward their own projects.
More precisely, AccessWIE members will benefit from:
- Being part of a community of practice and a global networking platform across different specialisations in energy
- Speaking opportunities at events organised by AccessWIE and its partners
- Participation in private interactive Q&A sessions with leading industry figures
- Priority to attend training courses at a discounted price
- Invitation to join educational and trade missions
- Access to job opportunities and advice on career plan
- Invitation to events organised by AccessWIE and its partners
AccessWIE provides an intranet service to enable members to exchange news and views, identify new business and entrepreneurship, fill job vacancies, connect with Government policies and promote their own expertise.
Members receive the monthly AccessWIE and WEG newsletters.
Click here to read the AccessWIE newsletters
How to Join
Membership is open to women and men with background and experience in energy.
The secretariat is provided by Crystol Energy and MEC International, Ltd.