Event Date: 8 December 2016
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Dr Carole Nakhle, Director of Crystol Energy, will be speaking on oil and the new economic order at the “An Unravelling Global Order: Prospects for 2017” conference organised by the Carnegie Middle East Center.
As 2016 draws to a close, prospects for the year ahead seem uncertain. The Arab world remains mired in both political and economic conflict and instability. The election of Donald Trump in the United States and the rising wave of populism across the Europe—where many elections are scheduled in 2017—are sure to impact Western policies toward the region.
The event will provide an outlook into 2017 and will focus on what Carnegie scholars believe will be the most important and pressing issues facing the Middle East and North Africa region.
|9:30 – 10:00 AM | Welcome
10:00 – 11:15 AM | Panel: Populism on Steroids: Trump and Europe
· Marc Pierini, Senior Associate, Carnegie Europe
· Perry Cammack, Associate, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
Moderator: Michael Young, Senior Editor, Carnegie Middle East Center
11:45 – 1:00 PM | Panel: Russia, Turkey and Iran
· Dmitri Trenin, Director, Carnegie Moscow Center
· Karim Sadjadpour, Senior Associate, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
· Sinan Ülgen, Visiting Scholar, Carnegie Europe
Moderator: Joseph Bahout, Visiting Scholar, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
2:00 – 3:00 PM | Fireside Chat: Rising Asia
· Paul Haenle, Director, Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy
· Sanjay Singh, Former Ambassador of India to Iran
Interlocutor: Mohanad Hage Ali, Director of Communications, Carnegie Middle East Center
3:30 – 4:45 PM | Panel: Globalization in Reverse: Oil and a New Economic Order
· Aasim M. Husain, Deputy Director, Middle East and Central Asia, International Monetary Fund
· Carole Nakhle, Nonresident Scholar, Carnegie Middle East Center
Moderator: Yezid Sayigh, Senior Associate, Carnegie Middle East Center
5:15 – 6:15 PM | Fireside Chat: Regional Tipping Points
· Marwan Muasher, Vice President for Studies, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
Interlocutor: Maha Yahya, Director and Senior Associate, Carnegie Middle East Center
The event will take place on December 8, 2016 at Phoenicia Hotel, Minet Al Hosn, Beirut.