Access for Women in Energy (AccessWIE) in collaboration with the New York University Abu Dhabi organised a seminar under the theme ‘A Just Energy Transition, Bringing Everyone on Board’ in Abu Dhabi on 4th October 2023.
Dr Carole Nakhle, President of AccessWIE and CEO of Crystol Energy, moderated the discussion which gathered esteemed panel speakers, including:
- Fatema Al Nuaimi, Executive Vice President, Downstream Business Management, ADNOC
- Proscovia Nabbanja, CEO, Uganda National Oil Company (UNOC)
- Marc De Saint Gerand, Executive Director, Deputy Head Industry and Advisory, Energy Group
- Rasha Hasaneen, Chief Product and Sustainability Officer, AspenTech
- Antonios Vouloudis, Director of Sustainability and Stewardship, New York University Abu Dhabi
Linda Mubarak from the New York University Abu Dhabi made the opening remarks.
The discussion revolved around energy transition and the challenges the industry faces to access capital to fund cleaner energy solutions. The critical role the technology can play as well as the need of policies to drive the technology implementation were also addressed.
A number of ways were explored on how the world can move to a sustainable economy that is fair to everyone and inclusive, leaving no one behind. The discussion emphasised the need for pragmatic solutions and highlighted the importance of forging partnerships between governments, industry leaders, financial institutions, and communities.