In this interview given to Rotus Oddiri from Arise News Channel, Dr Carole Nakhle, President of Access for Women in Energy (AccessWIE) and CEO of Crystol Energy, discusses what inspired her to set up AccessWIE, the group’s aim and activities, as well as the key takeaways from the recent event AccessWIE organised on energy markets and investment in times of war and transition in London.
- AcessWIE’s mission has been to promote the development of women in the energy industry, but also to create a networking platform for energy experts globally.
- The group, through its activities, showcases women’s expertise in energy debates; so the focus becomes energy and gender does not matter anymore.
- On 4 July 2023, AccessWIE, in collaboration with the Arab Bankers Association, organised a seminar on energy markets and investment in times of war and transition. Several issues were highlighted during the discussion, including:
- We need to pursue and accelerate the energy transition, but at the same time we have to maintain a certain degree of realism.
- We need investment in conventional fuel, but in a more responsible and sustainable way, tackling issues like methane emissions and gas flaring, as well as looking into new technologies such as carbon capture and storage.
- With respect to energy investment, it is not only about private investment, but we need to think of government support. However, many governments around the world are hugely indebted and do not have that privilege as the US does with the Inflation Reduction Act.